2 FV-1 ICs and number of EEPROMs

Hardware questions and issues with the FV-1

Moderator: frank

bcnx

2 FV-1 ICs and number of EEPROMs

Post by bcnx »

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project with two channels that each have their own (mono) FV-1. I change the programs on both FV-1 ICs by means of an Arduino. The Arduino changes the programs of each FV1 by means of dedicated digital lines. I use 2 EEPROMs which the Arduiino enables or disables, depending on the program choice (so I now can use 16 programs).
I was wondering if I can use just 2 EEPROMs for this, or would I need 4 of them (every FV-1 has its own 2 EEPROMs). I think that during operation it would work with just 2 (unless the FV-1 needs continuous access to a program when using it) but bootup might be challenging. The Arduino will remember the last program though, so I would first get that out of memory and then send the program choice on the select lines.

Thanks!

BC
Sweetalk

Re: 2 FV-1 ICs and number of EEPROMs

Post by Sweetalk »

The FV1 uses the EEPROM only when detects a change in the S lines or in the Internal/External pin, copies the program to the internal memory and stop using the I2C line. If you're using a microcontroller you can make a code that loads the program on the first FV1, waits the loading time and loads the program in the another FV1. It will take some trial/error to get the correct timing but I think is doable.
bcnx

Post by bcnx »

Right - the EEPROMs are not all that expensive, but in order to use more than 8 programs, I need to enable and disable every other EEPROM, which takes more digital pins on the Arduino to do so in the event of 4 EEPROMs versus 3 EEPROMs,

thanks,

BC
ice-nine

Post by ice-nine »

bcnx wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:23 am Right - the EEPROMs are not all that expensive, but in order to use more than 8 programs, I need to enable and disable every other EEPROM, which takes more digital pins on the Arduino to do so in the event of 4 EEPROMs versus 3 EEPROMs,

thanks,

BC
Not really, If I understand your situation correctly. As an example if you have two FV-1 chips with two EEPROMS per chip the Arduino switching can parallel switch each FV-1 set of EEPROMS, so to switch between 2 EEPROMS only needs one digital pin, High/low for both sets of EEPROMS.
That would work if both FV-1's switch programs 1-16 the same order. If you need to be able to select different orders of programs per FV-1 then it would be a little more complex.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk
"It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it press start, you can work out the rest of the controls yourself."